Perfect for edible gifts. Or you could keep it all to yourself. We won't mind
1. First things first
Line a 17cm square tin with baking parchment, then measure out your ingredients:
- 150 ml semi-skinned milk
- 250 g granulated golden sugar
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Place everything in a large, non-stick saucepan over a low heat, stir frequently to dissolve the sugar and melt the butter.
2. Once the sugar has dissolved, turn up the heat to medium
Bring the mixture to the boil, continuously stirring. Reduce the heat slightly and let the mixture simmer for 15 minutes, stirring continuously, making sure the mixture doesn’t catch at the edges of the pan.
3. Remove from the heat and continue to stir for 10 minutes
It will thicken a lot during this time.
4. Pour the mixture into the tin
Spread it out evenly using the back of a metal spoon. Leave it to set at room temperature for four to six hours.
6. Cut it into evenly sized squares
See the full recipe here.