Flex yours and get to grips with preparing these shelled beauties
Steps to preparing mussels:
- Open the bag of mussels. Throw any broken mussels away.
- Place the rest in a large bowl.
- Fill with cold water, sprinkle with oats to purge the mussels.
- Strain and rinse.
- Pull off beards and scrape off any barnacles.
- Tap the open mussels to see if they shut tightly. Discard any open mussels.
- Place the closed, clean mussels in a large saucepan. Add a splash of water. Cover with a lid and cook for 5-10 minutes, or until the shells have opened fully.
Once they are prepared, mussels take no time to cook at all. This recipe is really simple, but you can add wine, herbs, garlic to your batch.